Thursday, August 4, 2016

Week Nine Diary Entry

"It's okay, I make the sound effects too."

This week was another great class (I think that goes without saying at this point) - we worked on 'Actions from Parry 1st' as well as the usual covering of the fundamentals. 

1. We did a version of structured bouting that I really liked, which focused on the first couple of passes only. This seemed like a much better learning experience than simply thrashing at someone in a mindless panic, which is what I had been doing up until now. This time we were given a game plan to work from (Molinello to the head, Parry 1st, riposte as you like), which gave me something to focus on that wasn't just "OhgodohgodohgodwhatdoIdofuuuuuck". 

I'm still making very questionable choices in the heat of the moment - for some reason whenever I try and get a hit in I raise a leg up like a Cocker Spaniel about to pee on a fire hydrant. Perhaps I was a Master Yogi in a previous life (or, indeed, a Cocker Spaniel), but for sparring sabre, it's no good and will only get me laughed at - or worse, disqualified.



(Recent pic of me)

2. I now have my first HEMA bruise! It is, regrettably, in an area I can't show off (well, not without being ejected from class immediately after) - still, it feels a little bit like an initiation. In the interest of transparency, I didn't even get it from sparring, so that, uh, maybe sullies the coolness somewhat. Of course we should be trying to avoid bumps and bruises as much as possible - but I also think it's okay to let yourself feel a tiny bit bad-ass when you get marked up. I, however, bruise like some kind of soft fruit so I have a feeling I'll be over the novelty quite quickly - especially when the inescapable Looks of Concern start coming my way. 

I think I may have also given bruises to a couple of people by virtue of terrible aim and undisciplined striking force, which I regret but also am trying recognize as an inevitability. Feeling intense guilt every time I hit someone is simply not going to be feasible in HEMA. I am still punctuating every stray hit with a loud "SORRY" and a nervous giggle. While it's good manners to apologize if you hit someone where you shouldn't, especially with minimal gear, I think I may be goin' a little overboard. We could talk about the psychology behind my intense need to constantly apologize - but maybe that could be its own post!

3. Our instructor goes overseas in a couple of weeks (cue sad violins) and in his stead we have an instructor from another school coming in to teach the basics of Jiu Jitsu, as an introduction to Bartitsu. I have a friend who does Brazilian JJ who enjoys testing out his new skills on me - whether I like it or not - so I'm not altogether unfamiliar with grappling. I do worry about my size being an obstacle, considering most of the students are at least a head taller than me and I have trouble imagining how I'm going to get any of them to the floor. I am looking forward to learning something new and different, but I also hope that we get a chance to revise what we've done in the ten weeks previous. In any case, a martial art that involves handkerchief throwing will probably be pretty interesting.

4. A couple of weeks ago I made the divisive decision to get a piercing in my chest (look up 'dermal anchor' for those playing at home) - which, while totally and utterly wicked, has gotten in the way a little bit. I had to ask my drill partner to alter his target a couple of times to avoid it, which may have affected his learning. It's interesting to think about the ways in which my decisions outside of class might affect what goes on in class - and this is something I will have to remain cognizant of. For now, investing in a chest protector might be an idea.

5. FACE SWEAT. I now know ye. I'm not sure if you've truly known discomfort unless you have been swimming in a pool of your own cheek sweat inside an awkwardly-fitting fencing mask. I have this knowledge now. I don't think there's any going back. 


In summation: Swords continue to be good. Would highly recommend. 

3 comments:

  1. This is a little spooky, so many parallels! Totally relate as usual, except, I'm usually covered in bruises anyway as I'm rather clumsy and regularly walk into things, so few people notice the additional HEMA-related injuries - much to my chagrin, as I'm just bursting to say (ever so casually): "Oh I got that from swordfighting the other day..."

    For piercing, substitute tattoo in my case. Gods that was sore when it was accidentally tabbed with a sword. Mostly healed now, fortunately.

    Keep up the good work! I love your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm a tattoo fan too so I imagine that will also prove a challenge next time I get one.

      Delete
  2. Re: the piercing. Get yourself a chest protector, it'll help with your drill problem and it'll help with sparring/competing down the line.

    I've linked Leon Paul's store page, they've got a good variety of offerings and they ship really quick.

    http://www.leonpaulaustralia.com/fencing-clothing-uniforms/chest-protectors.html

    ReplyDelete